To find out, I set out to compare and use similar products, but that catch was: one of the products was homebrand and the other product was from well-known brand. Over the years, I always used products that were well-known brands, because I thought that homebrand was just a cheap knock-off of the brand products! I thought that:
Homebrand = cheap price = low quality = bad product!!
Also, when I lived with my parents, I didn't really think of the price (naughty I know!), but I just picked up the product that I always used. In saying that, I was aware that it was my parents who paid the grocery bill, so every so often, I would try homebrand products...Back then, the homebrand beauty products were not up to scratch.
Homebrand products a couple of years ago...
Make-up removal pads
- The make-up removal pads fell apart as they didn't have sealed edges (so instead of having one pad, you had two!)
- When the pad fell apart, the fibres went everywhere!
- They weren't the softest thing around...
- If you had dry skin, the fibres would cling to your skin!
- Trying to use a pad to remove nail polish was useless, because after one nail, the pad became flimsy and useless!
- The cotton tips were inconsistent in size (some were tight, while the other end was fluffy!)
- As soon as I place it in nail polish remover, the tip swelled to double the size, which meant I couldn't clean around my nails as well,
- The quality was shocking...I remember the tip fell off a few times! (for no apparent reason! I didn't pull it off either!)
Nail polish remover
- The nail polish remover wasn't moisturising and it made my skin feel drier after several uses
- It didn't clean my nails properly!
- It would take several make-up removal pads and lots of nail polish remover to take off my polish!
Needless to say, I went back to buying brand products, which was normally Swisspers or Cutex. I found that these brands had great products, that never did any of the above...however, the price tag was higher! It was only once I moved out of my parents place, a couple of years later, that I began to think about what I really used the products for! I mean, it's not like I was using these beauty products to eat off...and after one use, they went in the bin! Therefore, I decided to give homebrand another try...
Most of the time, I shop at Woolworths (a supermarket here in Australia), and everytime I reach the beauty aisle, I smile! That day, I made my way to the nail section and picked up the Woolworths Select nail polish remover, and from memory, there are three types to choose from: moisturising, nourishing and acetone-free (don't quote me on that though!). I decided to buy the moisturising type! I then went to the make-up removal pads and cotton tips, and picked up the Woolworths Homebrand of each.
Homebrand products now...
Make-up removal pads
- The make-up removal pads now have sealed edges, which prevent them from falling apart
- No messy fibres!
- Doesn't cling to any dry skin!
- When using with nail polish remover, I only need two pads!
- Also, they are soft and very easy to use!
- The cotton tips are consistent in size, small and tight!
- No fluffiness (if you like fluffy cotton tips, these aren't for you!)
- When putting it in nail polish remover, the tip stays the same size, so it is really easy to clean around and under the nail!
- Best of all, the tip doesn't fall off!
Nail polish remover
- Given that I chose the moisturising nail polish remover, it actually moisturises my skin as well! It doesn't make my skin dry :) It has almond oil and shea butter in the ingredients!
- It cleans my nails well and I only have to use a couple of make-up removal pads to take off my polish! (Unless I'm wearing glitter polish!!)
- For a nail polish remover, it actually smells nice! Not your typical chemical smell!
|You can tell how much I love this...|
It's virtually empty!!
Needless to say, I now re-purchase these homebrand products constantly! I don't even look at the brand products anymore! Another plus of these homebrand products is the price! These are at least a few dollars cheaper, and are usually less than half the price of the brand products!
Homebrand = cheap price = great quality = awesome product!!
I hope this helps anyone who is a bit iffy about the quality of homebrand products! I'd love to hear what your thoughts of homebrand products are and any experiences you have!